Friday, December 4, 2020

Week twelve Book sixteen : the Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep

 

This really is a book lovers dream. I mean that literally as well as figuratively.

I'm not a fan of Dickens, though I recognise his genius and talent. This book relies on this in so many ways, but also any other author of note from the Victorian-ish (Cough* Out of copyright *Cough) timeframe. Which also lends itself to a tonal and consistent world building, with a few dragons and beatsies blended in. 

It reminds me of Ready Player One, but in some ways it's the polar opposite of that. Where RP1 was gratuitous wish fulfillment played for an ego, with no ethics or morals guiding it, this is wish avoidance, because the consequences are understood and the hero can not become a villain to save himself.

Also I loved the source of reference for RP1 and hated the book. The opposite is true here, I don't like the source (Dickens) but ended up loving the result in this book.

The pace changes a few times, the first third is speculative and ponderous and then accelerates beyond control, then slows down to introspection for the end. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment