Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week Forty Six: Paris Secrets

Paris Secrets by Janelle McCulloch is a guide to the Art and Architecture of the City and its buildings.

Straightforward enough, it discusses the style and eras of exterior and interior design in Paris, my favourite city in the world (so far) but while illustrated lavishly with pictures taken by the author, the text is often repetetive and Janelle obviously struggles with keeping her obvious passion for the city interesting for the reader.

I love Paris and yet I found myself critiquing her style, prose and even photgraphic skills. I think that some pictures were included to pad the length of the book - much like a lot of the text contained.

But some of the background and detail on the styles, the reason why they were that way and where they can be found - were interesting enough to keep me reading.

A good coffee table read, but one you'll be done/irritated/over with quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment