Thursday, June 3, 2021

Week 37 Book 69 to 73 : Various

 

Book 69 The Sunday Girl.

Gripping  thriller that much Pip's other book, I could not put down, just well written with an ultimately sympathetic protagonist - even though I hated her at first.



Book 70 Songteller 

Surpisingly sweet insight into the unbelievable Dolly Parton, talented and amazing. A god botherer, but like Richard Coles - in a nice way. Rare.


Book 71 Us Three

Disappointing. I expected funny, but it was 95% melodrama. I was sick of everyone by the end.


Book 72 The Animals In That Country

This is odd, its ambitious and clever, but ultimately unlikable despite how well it's made. It did remind me heavily of The Day Of The Triffids. Something incredible, humans try to survive, moving round a lot, the military step in when a simple solution is found, new world order is pretty much the same as the old, with less people learning nothing. Clever though.

Did I mention clever?

 


 Book 73 The Signal And The Noise

Been on my list for years, ever since I saw Nate interviewed on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. A victim of his own success and all the syndromes he describes. A very good way to get your head around the predicting of events, and the fact that you really can - but also can't.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment