Friday, April 2, 2021

Week 29 Book 47 : The Duke And I

 

This started well and ended badly. The wit, charm and biting satire of the first half (at least I thought it was) gave way to melodrama and what felt like an underlying misogyny. While there are occasional attempts at empowerment, the author seems to revel in the fact that women were property, and men were there to protect them. I can seem various attempts to make the woman stand up for herself, and the men make sure the women in their charge are protected and revered. 

Yet I could not shake the feeling that this was just a veneer, and that the message here was harking back to a time that was somehow more polite, gentlemanly and ... better? Maybe I have misread this terribly, but I grew annoyed at the sarcasm, the bridling and the endless cultural referencing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment