Friday, May 18, 2018

Week Twenty: Technically Wrong


Possibly the most personally affecting book I have read since How To Win A Cosmic War. Instead of a epiphany of belief it's been an heart-breaking embarrassment of many of the things I have said and done in my tech career.

I am (what I would call) a feminist, and a fair minded person, and I try to do what I think is right. But I was occasionally appalled by what I read in this book, not because it's surprising (it is not) but the behaviours called out are ones I have/do employ, and the reasons for defending that behaviour are the very reasons I have used to declare myself ok.

I'm not, it's not, and I should not remain that way now I can see that.

Not beating myself up at all, but now I can actually see it and I can't believe I was so easily convinced that wrong was right, and worse that I convinced others of that too.

Do better.


No comments:

Post a Comment