Saturday, May 21, 2011

Week Thirty Two: Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones


Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones marks the first two books in this project by one author I have read one after the other. Every thing I have read by Jones, I have loved. his writing is clear and lyrical and heat achingly good.

Mister Pip is sweet, fairytale imaginary and shockingly real. The shattering of their otherworldly reality by the factions of Papua New Guinea is both surreal and hyper real and took me completely by surprise and did a great deal to unsettle me as the reader. I can see and feel it taking place.

It is going to be a movie shot in PNG and NZ, starring Hugh Laurie as Mister Watts the teacher. I can totally see that and I think it will make a great film.

Next week: I don't know. Candidates include Sara Paretsky, A book on social networking, a segue to the State of Jones or Mother Jones. One of these I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment